By nourishing your most tender voice
A live online writing workshop series
led by Jennifer Browdy and Audrey Kalman
Writing a book has been compared to giving birth. With both writing and birthing, you are bringing something new and beautiful into the world, and to do this well requires a tremendous amount of creative energy, along with self-awareness about the fears that might hold you back, and the need for helpers and allies in the quest for success.
In this series of live online workshops, which I am so delighted to be offering with my lifelong friend, the writer and birth doula Audrey Kalman, you are invited to step into a non-judgmental space where you will feel safe to discover your most tender voice, so that your truest stories can take root and blossom.
Exploring the metaphorical resonances between birthing and writing, we’ll introduce the tools you need to “birth” your next creative work and to sustain yourself for future projects.
- Develop a powerful internal ally to walk with you on your writing journey.
- Discover the tender truths seeking to come through you, and consider whether memoir or fiction is a more suitable genre for your story.
- Learn how community can be a source of nourishment for even the most solitary writer, and how we can support each other and ourselves in finding the courage to step into the unknown.
“BYTS has kept me accountable, built my confidence about my story being one to persist at, and gotten me over some significant hurdles in my attempt to write a challenging memoir story. Especially helpful are the opportunities to share work, receive feedback, and voice feelings and reactions about doing the writing.”
In a small, supportive group environment, you will:
- Discover how to apply concepts from the birthing world—such as surrender, facing fears, and working with a doula (coach)—to your writing practice
- Learn how to move beyond the fears that impede your writing journey
- Produce new work during generative writing sessions
- Receive monthly feedback during class from the group and from two seasoned writing teachers
- Find community in a small, supportive group of fellow writers
- Find accountability to the group—and to yourself
When you finish the workshop, you will come away with:
- Deeper knowledge of yourself and your writing process
- A reliable toolkit for tackling fear and uncertainty
- Several thousand words of draft material
- Confidence in your ability to serve as your own writing ally
- A writing community to cheer you on
SESSION DATES & TOPICS
All sessions meet on live online via Zoom.
Sunday classes start at noon Eastern, Monday and Wednesday office hours at 6 pm Eastern.
Check Punchpass for complete registration information.
Your monthly tuition includes:
** A 90-minute class covering a wide range of writing & revision techniques, as well as questions related to publishing
** A two-hour writers’ circle to share and receive feedback on your work
** Two “office hours” sessions with the instructors, for informal group sharing about the writing process and any questions that come up
We’re here for you!
While you’ll get the most benefit from taking the whole series, you are also welcome to join us for just one month, or to drop in when you can.
New option: Sign up for just the monthly Master Class!
Purchase a single-class pass here.
“Being part of BYTS made me excited to move forward, confident about having begun to find my writing voice, and less fearful of facing the desk/computer. It’s also provided an emotional catharsis and the process, as painful and laborious as it has sometime been, has been joyful, liberating, and hopeful. The chemistry of the group is critical, I believe. In this group, from my perspective, the synergies have been exceptional!”
– C.C., 2021
FIRST TRIMESTER – Gestating
- 9/26, Class: Conception – What is the story asking to be born? What’s your story’s form: fiction, nonfiction? Length? Genre?
- 10/4, Office Hour
- 10/10, Writers’ Circle, Share your writing & received structured, productive, encouraging feedback
- 10/20, Office Hour
- 10/24, Class: Characters – Explore issues of character development, point of view, voice, and relationship of character to plot
- 11/1, Office Hour
- 11/7, Writers’ Circle, Share your writing & received structured, productive, encouraging feedback
- 11/17, Office Hour
- 11/21, CLASS: A deeper dive into your characters’ motivations, relationships and psychology.
- 11/29, Office Hour
- 12/5, Writers’ Circle, Share your writing & received structured, productive, encouraging feedback
- 12/15, Office Hour
SECOND TRIMESTER – Developing the Story
- 1/9, CLASS: Building a world in your novel or memoir.
- 1/19, Office Hour
- 1/23, Writers’ Circle
- 1/31, Office Hour
- 2/6, CLASS: Focus on narrative style and voice.
- 2/16, Office Hour
- 2/20, Writers’ Circle
- 2/28, Office Hour
- 3/6, CLASS: Focus on narrative arc, story development and structure.
- 3/16, Office Hour
- 3/20, Writers’ Circle
- 3/28, Office Hour
THIRD TRIMESTER – Laboring and Delivering
- 4/3, CLASS: Audience and purpose
- 4/11, Office Hour
- 4/20, Office Hour
- 4/24, Writers’ Circle
- 5/1, CLASS: Revision–Trusting your most tender voice, integrating feedback
- 5/11, Office Hour
- 5/15, Writers’ Circle
- 5/23, Office Hour
- 6/5, CLASS: Birthing your work into the world
- 6/13, Office Hour
- 6/15, Office Hour
- 6/19, Final Writers’ Circle & Celebration!
“The best impact has come by way of sharing our writing. I have loved sharing with others and noting their processes. I have enjoyed the prompts, videos and office hours. Deadlines always motivate me! Your words to us are always inspirational and keep me wanting to explore and move forward.”
Cost & registration
The cost is $169 per monthly series, which includes the 90-minute class, 90-minute writer’s circle and two 90-minute office hours per month, led by either Audrey or Jennifer, where you can drop in for guidance, conversation and camaraderie as you go through the process of birthing your truest story. The instructional portion of each monthly class will be recorded; group sharing, reading and discussion will not be recorded.